9/14/2011

Summer reading reaction

The Giver- Lois Lowry

"Jonas has been selected to be our next Receiver of Memory."

"The Giver" is a science fiction for children. It was prized as "Newbery Medal" which is one of the most famous American literal awards. I chose this book for my summer reading. When I had to choose a book for summer reading, I didn't know which one is the best. At that time, I was in US for SEA program, so I asked my teacher and the book shop's staffs to give me some advice. They saw the list of books and said, "The Giver is very interesting and easy to read, you can enjoy it!"Actually, I had not read such a long story before, so I had no confidence to finish reading whole pages. However, this book is for children and I thought I could read it without any difficulties. Therefore,  I decided to read this book.

In this story, there is one boy whose name is Jonas. He is a protagonist in this book and he is different from others. His world seems to be a perfect utopia. In his community, everyone live peacefully without pains. They are satisfied with their life and they have no doubt or sadness about it. However, on the other hand, everything is under control in his community. There is no war, conflict, and real love. Everyone should be same and not have individual feeling or personality. Also, their life is decided by elderly in the committee. There are "family units" but they are not  real family. The central government decides to match one male and one female, and give them just one male and one female as their children who have no blood relationship with their parents. Moreover, they can decide to "release" people (I think it means death.) Disabled children and old people are released when the time is coming. 

The government also decides their jobs, for example, birthmother who gives birth to every children in the community or judge for punishments and release or Nurturer who cares newchildren in care houses. The observers have checked and observed children until they become twelve, and at the ceremony of twelve, they order children to obey their order. the children cannot reject it if they don't like it. The judgement and order from the committee is absolute imperative.

When Jonas's ceremony of twelve, he is ordered to be a receiver of memory. He receives the memory from the current receiver who is called the Giver.  The memory has good and bad things that other people don't know. For example, color is one of the memory. Just Jonas and Giver can identify the difference of color. In his community, memory means pain. The Giver is suffered from too much memory. He cannot stand not to tell others about the memory. Also, Jonas becomes distressed in the same situation as Giver. Finally, he escapes from the community...

After reading this book, I felt something strange and wondered, "Which is the better one, the life with pain and love or the life with nothing?" In our world, we also hope peaceful and safe life, so Jonas's world may be said "perfect" one. However, I think it is not my ideal. Of course, we try to avoid danger, conflicts or something bad for us, but occasionally it can be the next step for our better life. Choice has not only risk but also pleasure. I was disappointed that Jonas gave up telling the memory to others. He should have not escaped from the community, but told how importance of bearing memory and changed it. I think the most important thing is thinking by myself. It is difficult to keep balance between independence and cooperation, but we have to think about myself and decide to do the best things in the situation at that time.
This book reminds me of the happiness of freedom and the responsibility of freedom. There are two books about another story of The Giver, so I want to read them and know what happened after this book.
It was really good experience to read an English book without dictionary. I enjoyed it!

3 comments:

  1. Nice work on this reaction, Yurika! Well-written and insightful! I like your discussion of the dilemma between having freedom and pain, or having a controlled society with little risk and little pain. I strongly recommend the other books in the series, too! Gathering Blue is very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought that this is just children's literature, but it has deep theme.
    Responsibility of freedom is difficult to think about.
    I also enjoyed reading this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After I read this book,I also found it strange to live without any choices. We cannot stand it when we are not allowed to make any judgement for ourselves!

    ReplyDelete