9/12/2011

How was my summer?

This summer was fabulous,special,wonderful and meaningful one for me.

For first 6weeks of my summer vacation, I entered SEA program(It is my university's international exchange program) and went to Saint Michael's College(SMC) in Vermont state, US to study English. Vermont state was called "Green Mountain State", so it was very beautiful and really comfortable place. Actually, I felt like living there forever! I was one of leaders of ICU students. There were 24 ICU students including 2 readers, so I had to bring them together for  a long time. I had never experienced such a role before, so it was very hard but I tried to do my best. Also, everyone helped me and trusted me, so I could do my job without any accidents.

About my English skill, I could not say I am perfect, but I improved it in SMC very much. In my class, I read "Flowers for Algernon" and " The Glass Menageries" and discussed about them. It helped me to read and understand quickly and accurately. Also, I watched some movies and made presentations and skits. It helped me to listen and pronounce words correctly. There were a lot of homework and I did it until mid night, but my effort developed my ability certainly.

In weekends I went to a lot of places, Boston, Montreal, NYC and so on. Every places were great but especially, NYC is the most impressive one for me. I watched the broadway show "Memphis" which is Tony Awards winner in 2010. I played musicals in my high school, so I had wanted to watch the broadway for a long time.  Actually, it was beyond my imagination. It was more powerful and exciting, so I cannot still forget the beat and groove in it. I want to go to NYC again someday.

In SMC, there were foreign students around the world(for example, from Canada, Italia, France, Colombia, China, Korea, Saudi-Arabia etc...) and studied English with us. I could make a lot of friends and learn so many things from them. For example, their culture, food, religion, language, fashion and good&bad points in their country. It was good experience to share the ideas about that, but sometimes I couldn't explain my life in Japan efficiently, so I realized that I didn't know my country so much and wondered what my country is. I thought I have to study about it and explain it to foreign people because it will help me to understand about my country more. There are so many students from different countries in ICU. It is good chance to carry out, so I'll try to do that.

I will never forget this summer.  I want to make use of this experience to next step of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment