11/14/2011

Reaction to Shreeve

In his article, Shreeve asks the reader that what the "race" is and whether it can be used in scientific world or not. He answered these questions by himself, and he said that our race is decided by our cultural viewpoint, not biological one. However, sometimes the concept of race is actually effective in some specific situation like medical things which uses genetic theory of race.

After I read Shreeve's idea, I was at a loss how should we use the term, "race". Actually we had used this term in wrong way and it might cause tragedies like Holocaust. However, I think we cannot ignore our difference considered as race. The concept of our race exists in our mind deeply, so we treat us through the filter of race. I think we have to keep on improving the idea of race and add new ideas.

1 comment:

  1. >I was at a loss how should we use the term, "race".

    Me too.

    But we should at least realize that it is not an objective scientific category, but more of a social/cultural construct.

    ReplyDelete