10/03/2011

My Essay Topic

I still have not decide my essay topic completely, but the most interesting thing for me is,
"What is Japan and Japanese from  the view of  foreign country's people?"

Few years ago, the image of Japan was "the country of Samurai",  I think.However, I'm sure that that image is changing now. It is, "the country of Animation."

When I went to Vermont Stat in US for SEA program and said "I'm from Japan," some of foreign people answered "Oh! I know NARUTO!" or " I love Ghibli animation!" In fact, they know Japanese animation better than me!!! However, they were surprised that I didn't know so much about these Japanese culture. We think "萌え" or "オタク" culture is particular aspect of our culture., but they don't think so.
Also, Japanese food is popular around the world, so there was a Japanese restaurant in Vermont, but there is something different from real Japanese one. Actually, the owner of the restaurant was Chinese. They arranged our culture but said, " This is Japanese food!" I think it's OK, but I felt something strange for that.

In these ways, people might misunderstand about Japan and our culture, but it is difficult to convey everything. Furthermore, in business, we try to focus on one aspect of our culture and advertise it to make more profit.

I'm interested in these contradiction and want to know what the best way to introduce our culture is. I'll try to make a survey of my topic by interviewing OYR and Septem and April students and make a conclusion for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment